How to Make money with Instagram? You’ve probably heard stories from people who make a lot of money from the photos they post on Instagram every day. You may have even looked at your own followers and thought: “I can do that too!”
Just like bloggers , YouTubers and everyone else who has built audiences around their content, Instagrammers have understood reach and influence ; two things that many companies don’t understand how to make money with Instagram.
These two things provide an opportunity for Instagrammers to develop different revenue opportunities; no matter whether they want to build an empire or just want to grab some pocket money and free things.
You want to sell something but you don’t know what? No problem!
1. How many Instagram followers do you need?
Now, if you’re wondering how many followers you need, the short answer is, “Less than you think.”
The long answer depends on several factors :
- Which niche are you active in and how well does that niche fit into a product category (fashion, food, beauty and fitness are popular niches if you go by hashtags ).
- How engaged are your followers (100,000 fake followers don’t do much).
Which income options do you particularly like?
Of course, the more committed followers, the better.
How these people make money with Instagram? Top Instagrammers can make thousands per post , but even 1,000 dedicated followers can make some money.
2. How can you make money with Instagram?
Depending on your particular brand on Instagram, your audience, and your engagement, there are ways you can make money :
- Sponsored posts from brands that your followers want to see.
- Become an affiliate and earn a commission when other branded products are sold.
- Creating and selling a (digital) product or a paid service.
- Sell your photos.
The good thing is that focusing on one source of income doesn’t exclude the others at the same time.
So let’s start with the most popular model of Instagram monetization: partnerships with brands as influencers.
3. How do you work with brands?
The term “influencer” is used very often these days.
An influencer is basically anyone who has built a reputation for doing cool things online and sharing them. For their audience, influencers are role models, trendsetters and experts whose opinions on certain topics are respected.
Many brands cannot keep up and are looking for influencers as partners in order to bring products to their followers via sponsored posts.
Brands don’t just want the size and reach of their Instagram accounts. They want your audience’s trust.
It can be quite difficult to keep the balance, to generate income as an influencer and at the same time remain a trustworthy Instagrammer, but as long as you don’t need the money directly to live, you can be picky and reject collaborations. Brands do that too.
How to decide what to charge as an influencer
As a rule, influencer cooperations involve the creation of content, i.e. posts or videos, which the brands can then use on their pages and for advertising.
Most of these collaborations are freely negotiable and can span a single post or an entire campaign. In return, there is a fee, free product, service, gift, publicity or a combination of these things.
Remember that you not only create content, but also grant usage rights and provide access to your followers on one of the most popular social media platforms these days.
In a poll of 5,000 influencers, around 42 percent said they charge $ 200 to $ 400 per post . Now you already know what brands are willing to pay and what you can offer these brands.
How to find brands to partner with
If you’re big enough, the brands will most likely find you. But of course you can also look for brands that are completely in line with your personality and values, so your followers won’t even think that you are “selling”.
You can write to the brands directly and offer them a deal to make money with Instagram, but you can also register on one of the many influencer marketplaces.
- Shoutcart : Sell a “Shout out” to your followers, no matter how many followers you have.
- Fohr Card : Register your Instagram, blog, YouTube channel and other social platforms to create an influencer card. This shows your different profiles and your reach so that brands can find you. You also get access to a list of brands and their wishes, so you can take the initiative and address them.
- Grapevine : If you have 5,000 or more followers, you can register on the Grapevine marketplace and find suitable brands.
- Crowd Tap : Create smaller content projects to earn rewards. This works especially well if you don’t have that many followers. However, so far only in the USA.
- indaHash : Brands introduce campaigns that you can participate in. You simply post a picture on Instagram with certain hashtags and get paid, but you need at least 700 followers.
- There are different rules when it comes to sponsored posts. Nevertheless, in order not to gamble away the trust of your audience, you should always add a hashtag #sponsored if it is a sponsored post. And one more thing to reassure you: 69 percent of influencers stated in a survey that transparency regarding their cooperation had no influence on how customers perceived them.
You can find examples of sponsored posts and see how Instagrammers incorporate brands into their stories by searching for #sponsored on Instagram . How He Asked, for example, is an account that publishes wedding stories and collaborates with a jeweler:
4. How do you become an affiliate?
Unlike an influencer, an affiliate is more interested in generating sales (and not just attention) because there is a commission for that.
A trackable link or promo code is typically used to ensure that clicks actually lead to sales. Since Instagram currently does not allow links outside of the profile, you can only use one trackable link at a time. That makes promo codes a better option for Instagram as you can incorporate them into a post.
Important: Instagram plans to allow links for Instagram Stories , which should open up more opportunities for you as an influencer.
Consider writing to the many online retailers that have affiliate programs that you can join. You can of course also explore popular marketplaces:
- ClickBank : An affiliate platform with various commissions that anyone can participate in.
- RewardStyle : A fashion and lifestyle influencer network that you have to be invited to, but that pays a 20 percent commission.
- Amazon’s Affiliate Program : A popular option that pays a 10 percent commission.
Although it sounds like a math problem, affiliate marketing is also an art, and you have a better chance of success if you follow a strategy and add a website and other marketing channels to your online presence.
Tip : Affiliate links can be long and ugly, so we recommend a URL shortener like bit.ly , especially if the link goes into your Instagram profile.
5. How do you sell products on Instagram to make money with Instagram?
So far, it might sound like Instagrammers can only make money by “selling” themselves and working with brands.
Instagrammers are also in a good position to sell their own products: goods, services or digital: anything can become part of your online personality. This is how you build a business around your followers.
You need to invest some time in advance. Nowadays it is quite normal to go from creative to entrepreneur.
If you’re just selling your products, you don’t need to worry about how to incorporate other brands’ messages into your posts. It’s even better: you can print your own logo on the products you sell.
Sell more on Instagram with product tags.
Fans can show their affection and support you by buying your products. It also feels pretty good.
There are a couple of ways to do this:
You can use a print-on-demand service to print and mail your own t-shirts, pillows, coffee mugs, posters, and more.
You can sell services like photo sessions or consulting services by using your bio to post your email address or a link to the website.
You can sell digital products like courses, ebooks, or design templates.
You can use your Instagram account to start a business selling your original products or even a book.
6. How can I sell my photos online?
Someone could become famous on Twitter by telling jokes 140 characters long. Instagram, on the other hand, is essentially a photo sharing app. And photos are assets that can be licensed, printed, and sold in a variety of ways.
However, you can also sell your photos as prints and on other products as described in the previous section. With service providers like Printful and Teelaunch you can print your photos on posters, mobile phone cases, pillows and much more. The companies take care of shipping and customer care. You just have to take care of the sale.
A good example is Daniel Arnold, who, according to the Forbes interview , “ate toast three times a day” because he couldn’t afford anything else. Now he earns up to $ 15,000 a day with his sometimes controversial photos. If there is already demand for your products, it is up to you to enable your audience to buy your photos.
Do it for Instagram (and get paid for it)
What started as a hobby – making people laugh, posting silly dog pictures – can quickly become an opportunity to make money with an engaged audience on Instagram.
The possibilities are endless to make money with Instagram. When you have followers who just can’t help but get stuck on your posts as they scroll through Instagram. It is your special attraction that gives you this opportunity. Take her by the hair.
How to make money with Instagram Video